Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sara, the head trainer at Days End, suggested that I be a little more forthcoming about what is going on with Gabe because other people may have similar problems with their horses and could learn from it.  So here it goes . . .

Gabe has proven to be extremely difficult under saddle.  In an odd contradiction, his ground work is impeccable.  He will lunge, he will pick up his feet, you can wave plastic bags, you can put saddles on him, and a bridle, he will back, walk, trot, canter, stand on a tarp, etc., without blinking.  He has never once offered to be malicious or doing anything but try to please. 

Get a rider on his back and it’s like nothing I’ve seen before.  When he bucked me and my husband off the first few times I figured I was rushing things.  So I went back to the ground work and started again.  I brought him to Kent Stough, and Kent agreed he was ready to be ridden based on the ground work that he saw.  I had the vet check him for the cross cantering issue, but also generally to make sure his back didn’t hurt.  I put shoes on him.  Through all the exams and exercising he has proven to be green, but level-headed, and a gentleman.

I have always thought that the most brilliant horses are the most difficult.  It is that spark that makes them incredible once they are willing to partner with their human.  The previous owner of my big grey once put the label “Alpo” on his door and yet he became and continues to be my most cherished companion.  I have no doubt the same will be true for Gabe.  And I am far from giving up!

No comments:

Post a Comment