Friday, July 13, 2012

Guapo has kindly asked for his training process to slow down and I am happy to oblige.

He is an absolute gentleman and has a clear desire to be in my pocket and to trust me, but he demonstrates a lack of familiarity with our species as a whole.  For example, it took him four weeks before he rested a hind leg while being groomed rather than standing at attention.  If a whip is brought out as a tool (not as a weapon), he shuts down.  In fact, I think his easy acceptance of the lunging, the surcingle, the ground driving, and the saddle, were all carried out in a mode of apparent tonic immobility rather than true trust.

He does not trust that a human's response will be kind or measured.  He needs time.  So, although he has carried me on his back, I am bringing it all back to the ground level basics.  This sounds like an apology even to my own ears, but it is not really.  I just wanted to explain why the posts would not continue as previously entered.  The fundamentals of his training will shape the rest of his life, and athough it is tempting to rush it to get results or to get over excited about wanting to ride him (he is going to be a blast!), it is not what seems right for him at this time.

Some part of me does feel apologetic, I suppose.  The common refrain for those who do not want to adopt rescues is that "they come with baggage."  And I always defend against that notion.  But I suppose some will.  How could they not?  Rescues have histories, and horses, in particular, have memories that seem to extend generations.  Partnering with such a past, however, and creating a new (previously unimaginable) future for the horse brings with it rewards that are equally unimaginable in scope for those who have the patience and kindness of heart.  My 20+ year relationship with my horse is proof and point.

There is no question in my mind that Gabe is going to make an incredible riding horse.  He has that quality of desire the brilliant ones always do.  He cares what his human thinks.  He wants to get it right.  Now, he just needs to see the reverse is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment